Spring is here-Finally!! It’s time to get outside and enjoy the season while the weather is with us. King’s Ridge encourages all kinds of spring activities with your fur babies but we also want everyone to be safe while you enjoy yourselves.
Here’s a brief list of things you need to be aware of this spring:
- Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitos and Stings:
Any time the temperature is above 4 degrees Celsius there is the danger of ticks being out, and either you or your dog getting a bite. Ticks can carry Lyme Disease, which is bad for both humans and dogs, and many pets show allergic reactions to the bite of a tick. Check yourself and your dog carefully after a walk in the park or the woods for any ticks. Be sure to remove them carefully if you find one and bring them in for testing so we can tell if they are carrying Lyme.
(a link to our website with instructions on tick removal is located here: https://www.kingsridgevet.com/remove-ticks-dog/ )
Fleas are also coming out of dormancy at this time of year and they can also carry some nasty diseases with them (like the plague and some varieties of tapeworm). Their eggs can be dormant for up to 1 year so it is important to get checked and get treatment. The team at King’s Ridge will be happy to help you.
As the weather warms we are going to see the return of mosquitos, and they can carry heartworm to your pet. Make sure you talk to us about preventatives!
One other thing to be aware of is the possibility of a bee sting. If your pet gets a sting you will see swelling and tenderness (and probably hear the complaint). Check if the stinger is still in the site and do not squeeze it to remove it, scrape it sideways with your debit card or something similar.
If your pet shows signs of vomiting, difficulty breathing or lethargy after a sting it may be a sign of an allergic reaction-this needs immediate attention!
To avoid any of these nasties wrecking your spring come and see us for testing and preventative measures.
- Household Cleaners:
Many of the chemicals we use daily to clean out homes are potentially harmful to our pets, when we have a cleaning blitz in the spring we can make the exposure more dangerous. Be aware of things like the following;
-Toilet cleaner, especially the concentrated kinds.
-Household cleaners, like degreasers, oven cleaners, dishwasher pods and laundry pods (this is not limited to teenagers, your pets are curious too).
-pool chemicals and hot tub chemicals.
-outdoor cleaners like CLR or degreasers.
Watch out for signs of rash, vomiting, excessive drooling and/or loss of appetite.
That first run in the grass, the planting of the first annuals or your vegetable garden; all things you can be doing outside with your pets.
Be careful with things like fertilizers and pesticides where your pets have access. Fertilizers applied directly to the lawn are usually safe, where you have to be concerned is if they are ingested (like eating from a bag left outside the shed). Usually this will show as stomach upset or diarrhea if ingested in small amounts, but may be toxic in larger amounts. If you think your pet has ingested some, call the Vet and have the bag or container handy so we can know what it is.
Pesticides are another concern, things like snail bait (metaldehyde or iron oxide) that are ingested can have effects ranging from stomach upset to more serious effects like seizures, incoordination, vomiting and diarrhea and can even be fatal in large enough quantities.
Organophosphates (often in plant care products) can be dangerous and even fatal-especially to cats- in quite small amounts so call right away of you think your pet has ingested some.
Spring and summer are our favourite seasons-get out there and enjoy it with your pets! Feel free to send us photos of yourselves playing in the forest, the grass, the water-wherever your activities take you! We love to see you enjoying life!
If you have any questions contact us and we will be happy to help!
Have fun and be safe!!